Monday 2 May 2011

I've always been a bit of sook.  The sort of person that tears up at certain soppy commercials, and last tonight during a couple of those Logie winners' speeches.  Wasn't Hugh Sheridan's just lovely? 

Now I'm not normally one to post on so called popular culture and to be honest this is the first time I have ever sat down and watched the whole Logies, or any award show in its entirity for that matter.  So this post isn't really about the Logies, it was just what prompted my thoughts.

I was a bit of a late comer to Packed to the Rafters but I watched every episode from the second season onwards right up until the one where Melissa died.  In fact, I didn't even watch the one where she did die, because I knew someone was going to die and I didn't want them to.  If I didn't see it, it didn't happen.  Right?  And I haven't watched one since.  There just reaches a point with TV shows where I give them up because it's all getting a bit too upsetting.

Karl Stefanovic said it exactly in his Gold Logie acceptance speech.  No more deaths, please!

I get emotionally invested in the characters, their families and their lives.  I am fully aware that it is all pretend.  I just can't help it. 

When Claire died on McLeod's Daughter's I gave it up, then came back to it a few seasons later only to give it up again when Alex died. 

Brothers and Sisters was great but then Kitty cheated on Robert.  Well, I don't know if she actually did because the ads were hinting at it and I got annoyed at her and stopped watching.  And then when I started watching it again there was that incredibly upsetting final episode last season with the car crash and Robert dying. 

Likewise with Grey's Anatomy.  This show I watched every episode right from the beginning.  I have them all on DVD.  But the end of last season was just too much emotional investment, I don't think I have ever been so tense watching a TV show in my life and since then I haven't really been able to get into this season.

Totally crazy I know.  But sometimes I feel like I have enough negativity happening in my life and I really don't need anything extra to bring me down further.  Even if it is pretend.

Do you feel the same?  Have you stopped watching a TV show for some reason?
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same I really prefer to watch things that are positive. There's enough negativity in real life. They've started hinting there will be a death on 'Glee' soon. I'm going to be so sad if I have to stop watching that!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I know what you mean, I hardly ever watch TV but I get the same with books. Its awful when something happens to one of the characters and I hate getting to the end I feel like I am losing something. I have to start a new one straight away :-)

Kylie said...

Yes, big sook here! I get very wrapped up in my TV shows, particularly things like Grey's {OMG that accident which I could see happening a mile away}, Private Practice {the end of season which left poor Vi in the hands of cuckoo Katy}, Pretty Little Liars {who the heck is A?} and at the moment I'm a little Glee crazy... I've even started looking up hints for future episodes. Who will be hooking up with who, etc... Stopped watching House because I just couldn't stand him and his stubborn refusal to be nice... EVER!! And the rafters got way too sad... getting teary just thinking of it...