Saturday 5 May 2012

Pretty stuff in the mail

  
Recently I was lucky enough to be partnered up with Sandra of Made in Hem on a Swap-bot swap.  The theme was 'sew something nice' and boy did she excel in that department!!  Not only did I get this very awesome mini quilt, but we also checked out each other's blogs and had a chance to get to know each other a bit, and it's always nice to add a new blog friend from the other side of the world!

Isn't it beautiful?! You can just see my big toe down the bottom to get an idea of what size it is. 
I probably also should have ironed it before taking photos but I was too excited!



All my favourite things - trees, leaves, woodland creatures, clouds, rain - I love it!

San has sewn over woolen fibres to create the trunk and the grass, I would never have thought of doing that and how she did it so straight and neat is beyond me!

The quilt is partially machine sewn with the details being hand embroidered

I am really lucky to have scored Sandra for a swap partner for this one, I'd like to say I made my partner something just as fantastic but I would most definitely be lying.  

This was what my partner got

And the big question, what to do with my mini quilt?  Well, I'm thinking a big cushion.  It'll need a nice thick fabric so I'm thinking a black denim, to complement the black piping around the edges.  Now I just need to plan a trip to the shops to get some more fabric (oh, what a pity).

If you want to check out how San put together my quilt, check out her blog post about it here.

 








5 comments:

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Wow what a fantastic quilt! Aren't you a lucky duck. I love how she has combined machine stitching with embroidery. I think she will be very chuffed with your zippered pouch too, its a darling and I drooled over it!
Thanks for commenting on my last post, I didn't get an email so I am replying here. I am going to knit up a few headbands and practice colourwork and steeking first before I make a big cardigan that has to be cut up the middle! Have a great weekend Megan :-)

San @ Made in Hem said...

So, cool to see it arrived safely at the other end! And you make me blush with your compliments!!! :D

I really like your pouch! That zipper went in sooooooo neat! I suck at zippers and most of the time I give up on a sewing project because I see a zipper... Now that would be a nice goal to tackle! Sew something with a zipper... I'm thinking about it... Hard! ;)

Sally said...

That sure is a gorgeous mini-quilt. Woodland creatures... you're favourite!!!
I love your offering too. Very beautiful for sure. You have such lovely taste in fabrics.

Margret said...

I love the little squirrel and the birdies in their nest, very cute.

2paw said...

How wonderful, it has all the things you like. I think a cushion is a good idea!! Your zippy pouch is gorgeous, love the cute flowers!!